Eyeball

Our eyes met. They had to; she was sitting directly opposite to me, facing me. And thus began the game.

Stadium: Four Seasons, Jaipur

Conditions: Extremely tough. She was with her family and I was with mine.

Team Morale: Low. No prior experience of eyeballing.

Opposition: Pretty but looked bored.

First Half:
I looked at her, gently and appreciatively. She looked back, blank.
I looked at her. She looked back.
I smiled faintly. She scanned me.
A glance. A glimpse.
Ping. Pong.
A long rally built morsel by morsel.

Second Half:
Complete change of play.
Tantrums and display.
I looked. She ignored.
I looked. She was laughing gracefully at some joke.
I looked. She was adjusting her hair that fell on her face.
I looked. She was looking everywhere but at me.
Then, a furtive glance. The game was pretty much on.

Injury Time:
No shots on target. When the food is over and the bill is awaited people at your table tend to talk to you. Whistle was about to be blown and I was yet to score. I just went to the washroom.

Corner:
There she was on my way back...looking at me. She was in good mood.
I smiled and looked at her as I first did, gently and appreciatively.
She saw. Did not react. She logged it.
Strike!

Almost a dream debut. Lot to take along with.

Comments

  1. You call it a strike...
    I call it a save!!

    With you stealing glances(=staring), and that female trying to avoid you as much as possible..
    She could have as well create a scene and got you beaten up for it!!
    Four seasons is a family restraunt you know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put :D Cute !!! Too bad about the gurl though ...

    Cheers,
    adisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. @adi
    It was a Strike! if tht game were played in canada i wld be waking up in her apprtmnt next noon.

    @adisha
    thanx. no worries abt the gurl...now tht i hv made my debut i am confident more opprtnties wld come :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. u make ur debut at 22?? wat were u doin in college life man?? anyway nice narratiom

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it were canada...then
    1) you wouldn't be going with your parents
    2) you would be drunk halfway through the meal,
    (so there wouldn't be any subtleties you described here)
    3) The female would most probably be with her boyfriend who would still whack the life out of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @adi the not so great
    u might be rt. it may nt be a strike.
    most of my frnds think i wld hav ben slapped if i wrnt with my family.
    phew! this is one complicated game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1st of all congrats 4 ur debut game....
    although not a dream start but atleast sm take-home is dere..:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interestin AND funny a good read! ;-)

    and ya all d best 4 ur future matches! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice narration of an expected reaction,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  10. this surely was funny...
    Good Job..

    ReplyDelete
  11. @balli
    Yeah, take-home....lol! i shld hav used this word.

    @chetna
    thanx...but after all the criticism i am getting from my frnds, i am thinking of retiring :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. its gud man,ultimately u are on list ..now u r on the right track ..this path needs lots of patience ,money,bit adventurous and you hav to learn a lot frm guys like balli..

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha... had a good laugh !
    a very intresting blog(gotta say!)you're on my blogs i follow list !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty interesting read..
    I'm sure after a couple of more matches of this kind, you'll score big ... keep practicing! ;)

    Aparna

    ReplyDelete
  15. @chanderpal
    no need to be humble. i know u r d man i shld approach.

    @miro
    thanx for finding my blog intrstng. gotta say urs is too. the satyajit ray article was awesome. so thorough.

    @aparna
    i hope i score big soon...but eyeballing aint the game for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious! :D
    Don't get disheartened. Maybe you just need a better coach?

    ReplyDelete
  17. my goodness, you write well my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts